Midjourney is a research laboratory that offers an AI program that generates images from text descriptions, similar to OpenAI’s DALL-E and Stable Diffusion. It’s believed that the technology behind it is based on Stable Diffusion. Midjourney is in an open beta phase, which started on July 12, 2022. The team is led by David Holz, who co-founded Leap Motion, and has already become profitable, according to Holz. Users can create images by interacting with Midjourney’s Discord bot through specific commands.
Midjourney is a creative platform that allows users to generate unique worlds, characters, and images through the use of short text descriptions. To access the service, it is necessary to have a Discord account.
1. Join the Discord
Go to Midjourney.com, select Join the Beta, or go directly to the Midjourney Discord.
To get started with Midjourney, you need to visit their homepage and click the “Join the Beta” button. This will take you to a screen where you can continue to Discord and register for the service. Once you have registered, you can access the web-based Discord or download the desktop app.
Midjourney offers a limited number of free images, after which you will need to pay a monthly fee for unlimited image creation. The fee is $8 for 200 images and $24 per month for unlimited access.
2. Find a Newbies Channel
On the Midjourney Official Server
On Other Servers
You can generate images with the Midjourney Bot on any server that has invited the Bot. Look for instructions on your server on where to use the Bot.
3. Use the /imagine Command
About Discord Commands
To use the Midjourney Bot on Discord, you need to input a command. Commands allow you to create images, modify default settings, monitor user information, and perform other useful actions. To generate an image, use the /imagine command followed by a short text description, known as a Prompt, to specify what kind of image you want. The bot will then generate a unique image based on your input.
- Type /imagine prompt: in the conversation or select the /imagine command from the slash commands pop-up.
- Type a description of the image you want to create in the prompt field.
- Click return to send your message.
4. Processes the Job
Wait for Midjourney AI to generate the images based on your description. The Midjourney Bot takes about a minute to generate four options.
Using the Midjourney Bot initiates a free trial, allowing users to perform roughly 25 Jobs.
A Job is any action that utilizes the Bot, including the /imagine command to generate a grid of images, upscale images, or create image variations. To monitor your remaining free trial time, use the /info command to view the Fast Time Remaining.
5. Review the Generated Images – Upscale or Create New Variations
U1 U2 U3 U4
The U button upscale the size of the selected image, producing a larger version with added details.
V1 V2 V3 V4
The “V” button generates slight modifications of the selected image in the grid. This produces a new grid of images that are similar in style and composition to the original selected image.
The ? (re-roll) reruns a Job. In this case it would rerun the original prompt producing a new grid of images.
Send the final image to yourself by using the envelope icon in the chat and save or download the image for future use.
NOTE: The more specific and detailed your description, the better the results will be generated by the Midjourney AI.
With this guide, you can start creating art and images using Midjourney AI in Discord.
Checkout the art generated from prompts:
1. /imagine: advanced form of life inside ocean
2. /imagine – Hulk listening music on the roof of a building in New York
3. /imagine: child talking to a robot
4. /imagine: artificial intelligence as a god and creator of human
5. /imagine: future of renewable energy
6. /imagine: Indian version of Rick and Morty from an alternate reality in a parallel universe —style 4b
7. /imagine: Deadpool as batman, cinematic, hyper-detailed, insane details, beautifully color graded, Unreal Engine, DOF, super-resolution, megapixel, cinematic lighting, anti-aliasing, FKAA, TXAA, RTX, SSAO, post-processing, post-production, tone mapping, CGI, VFX, SFX, insanely detailed and intricate, hyper maximalist, hyper-realistic, volumetric, photorealistic, ultra photoreal, ultra-detailed, intricate details, 8K, super detailed, full color, volumetric lighting, HDR, realistic, Unreal Engine, 16K, sharp focus
8. /imagine: deadpool as ironman, hyper-detailed, insane details, beautifully color graded, Unreal Engine, DOF, super-resolution, megapixel, cinematic lighting, anti-aliasing, FKAA, TXAA, RTX, SSAO, post-processing, post-production, tone mapping, CGI, VFX, SFX, insanely detailed and intricate, hyper maximalist, hyper-realistic, volumetric, photorealistic, ultra photoreal, ultra-detailed, intricate details, 8K, super detailed, full color, volumetric lighting, HDR, realistic, Unreal Engine, 16K, sharp focus
9. /imagine: deadpool as hulk –style 4b